If youâ€™re thinking about purchasing a new tank, make sure it truly is new! Buying used may seem like a more cost effective option, but could end up costing you more in the long run. The following are the top five reasons to consider buying new instead of used.
1. Avoiding Leaks â€“ When you buy a new tank, there is no wear and tear to worry about. Cracks do not exist and the glass will most often be in perfect condition. If a used fish tank does not have water in it when you look at it, you may not be able to see some of the minuscule cracks. A slow leak can be bad for your fish and your furniture.
2. Keeping It Clean â€“ New tanks will not need to be vigorously cleaned. A simple wash or rinse with hot water will have it ready to go. A used tank could come with buildup that wonâ€™t come off without a chemical cleaner, which should never be used inside a tank, so youâ€™ll be stuck with a dirty tank.
3. Maintaining Structural Integrity â€“ When you purchase a new tank, you can rest assured that the silicone will hold up for quite a while. A used tank simply does not offer that guarantee.
4. Getting the Right Size â€“ Different fish and reptiles will require different sized tanks. You want to be sure you use the right size for the creatures you plan to purchase. Decide which animals you want to buy first and then search for the perfect size. A hand-me- down tank doesnâ€™t give you that option.
5. Buying the Right Type â€“ Sometimes itâ€™s hard to tell the difference between a terrarium and an aquarium. If you chance it with a used product, you may end up with the wrong tank for your fish or reptiles. Terrariums generally have thinner glass, which could break if being used for a fish aquarium. Buying new will ensure you have the right tank for the right purpose.
As you can see, there are some things to consider when buying a new tank. Be sure you get exactly what you need by buying new.